Rapier or epee: how Tajik fencers train
Fencing in Tajikistan is developing rapidly: there are good athletes not only in the capital of the republic, but also in other cities. Sputnik Tajikistan spoke with Secretary General of the Fencing Federation of the Republic of Tajikistan Khisrav Nasimov on how athletes train and what awaits them in the new season.
– You and your brother are in charge of the Marseille club, representing the Dushanbe-1 team. Is it exclusively business for you?
– Of course, for me it is not only business. First of all, we try to provide the conditions for classes to everyone and to educate good athletes. When we opened the club, we didn’t really think about profit, but here, of course, it was important to take into account the peculiarities of the business and soberly assess the market.
Practice has shown that this sport is becoming increasingly popular: now there are a lot of people who want to send children to the section, we have good trainers. Groups are divided into children, youth and adults, but their formation took time.
– Tell us about the costs. What does the club spend the most money on?
– One of the most important points is the cost of equipment. For refereeing in fencing, special equipment is used that allows you to calculate the number of injections inflicted by an opponent. Such devices are attached to suits.
Athletes also need equipment. The complete set includes a bib, a protective sleeve, a universal coaching glove, two masks (saber for both swords and rapiers), for sabers need protection for the mask, for swords – additionally foot protection).
– What determines the payback?
– First of all, the payback depends on the number of students in groups, and the trainer’s salary depends on the number of groups, respectively.
You can talk about high payback if you managed to equip two groups – day and evening. Now there are enough people who want to study, but we are always ready to accept newcomers.
– You do sports yourself. How does this help you in the work and development of the club?
– I train a lot, try to keep myself in shape and be an example for our students. Of course, training and fencing have a positive effect on the conduct of business in the club. Playing sports develop such qualities as perseverance, perseverance, determination, ingenuity, and all this is important for doing business.
Fencing is a very unusual sport – beautiful, elegant. It is also sometimes called “muscle chess.” Indeed, the duel of fencers can be compared to a blitz tournament of chess players, where decisions are made in a split second, and the slightest mistake can turn into a defeat.
– There are several types of weapons in fencing. How do they differ?
– Yes, there are three types of weapons in fencing – rapier, sword and saber. They differ from each other in the form of the blade, tactics and rules of battle.
Rapier is a piercing weapon, injections are applied only in the body, limited by an electrically conductive jacket, worn on a protective suit. The affected surface in this case is the athlete’s chest and back.
The sword is also a piercing weapon. She can be injected into any part of the body except the head. A saber is both a chopping and piercing weapon. They do not slap her, but hit the body area above the belt, arm and mask.
– What kind of weapon should beginners begin with?
– Many beginners start training with rapier. But it all depends on the athlete’s desires: what he likes best, so he has been engaged all his life. There are times when a person owns two types of weapons.
– Which weapon is the hardest to handle?
– It is impossible to unequivocally answer this question. Fencing is generally one of the most difficult sports, which requires effort and endurance from the athlete. For example, in fencing with swords there is no priority to action.
The device does not record an injection inflicted later than another for more than 0.25 s. At the same time, injections inflicted are mutually recorded and awarded to both athletes. Only the last injections in a duel with an equal score need to be repeated.
– Do athletes experience pain from an injection?
“Sometimes it hurts.” Naturally, the equipment softens the sensations and it doesn’t reach serious injuries.
– Tell us how the training goes.
– In training with a sword movement on the track without an opponent is practiced, injections are made to the target. The trainer explains the tactical and technical ideas, shows new complex tricks.
Some elements are practiced with a sparring partner, or in an individual training. In my opinion, the main thing in this matter is reaction speed and endurance.
– Do you have a dream?
– I really want the Tajik athletes to take part in the Olympic Games. To do this, you need to train a lot and gain experience.
– What competitions await athletes this season?
– The season is expected to be saturated, now we are preparing for new starts. Athletes expect a number of major competitions. We have high hopes for the guys, now the squad is young enough.